How to Run Steam as Administrator
- September 22, 2022
If you’re having trouble launching Steam or certain games on Steam, it may be necessary to run Steam as an administrator. To do so:
1. Right-click the Steam shortcut on your desktop and select “Properties”.
2. In the “Target” field, add ” steam://run/480″ (without the quotes) to the end of the line.
3. Close the Properties window and launch Steam. You will be prompted to enter your username and password again.
4. Once logged in, go to the ” Library” > ” Games” tab, and select the game you’re having trouble with.
5. Right-click on the game and select ” Properties”.
6. In the “General” tab, check the ” Run this program as an administrator” box.
7. Close the Properties window and launch the game.
How to Run Steam as Administrator
Why You Might Need to Run Steam as Administrator
There are a few reasons why you might need to run Steam as administrator. One reason is if you’re trying to install a game or mod for a game and you get an error message saying that you don’t have permission to do so. Another reason is if you’re trying to launch a game and it doesn’t start up.
If you’re getting an error message when trying to install a game or mod, it’s likely because the files you’re trying to install are being blocked by Windows. By running Steam as administrator, you’ll be able to bypass these restrictions and install the files.
If you’re having trouble launching a game, it could be because the game is trying to access files that it doesn’t have permission to. Running Steam as administrator will allow the game to access these files and hopefully launch correctly.
How to Check If You Need to Run Steam as Administrator
There are a few key things to look for that will indicate whether or not you need to run Steam as administrator. First, check to see if you are able to launch and play your games without any issues. If you are able to do so, then you likely do not need to run Steam as administrator. However, if you are having trouble launching or playing your games, then it is a good idea to try running Steam as administrator. To do so, simply right-click on the Steam shortcut and select “Run as administrator.” If this fixes the issue, then you will need to set Steam to always run as administrator. To do so, go to the Steam installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Steam) and right-click on the Steam.exe file. Select “Properties” and then go to the “Compatibility” tab. Check the box next to “Run this program as an administrator” and then click “OK.”
How to Run Steam as Administrator in Windows
If you’re having trouble launching Steam or certain games on Steam, it may be because you’re not running Steam as an administrator. To do this, right-click on the Steam shortcut and select “Run as administrator.” If you’re prompted by User Account Control, click Yes to continue.
Once you’ve done this, try launching Steam or your game again. If it still doesn’t work, you may need to restart your computer.
How to Run Steam as Administrator in macOS
1. Open Finder and navigate to the location of your Steam installation.
2. Right-click on the “Steam” application and select “Get Info”.
3. In the “General” section, check the “Lock” icon to prevent any changes.
4. Then, in the “Ownership & Permissions” section, change the “Owner” to your username.
5. Next to “Owner”, select the “Read & Write” option.
6. Now, close the “Get Info” window and launch Steam.
7. When prompted, enter your password to allow Steam to make changes.
8. Done! Steam will now run with administrator privileges.